Tag Archives: scarves
It’s all about layering. Layering really completes a look and it never goes out of style. Cardigans, scarves, jewelry, blazers….all perfect for layering.
I found some really great examples of layering on www.singer22.com. I recommend copying any of the following looks:
You can also check out my latest post on Hollywood Hot Moms which features Lisa Rinna keeping it casual and layering with a cardi: www.hollywoodhotmoms.com/casual-cardi
My obsession this week is a handcrafted women and children’s clothing line called lemlem. I love the look of the bright pink, yellow and blue stripes used on the clean white fabric. Not only are the cover-ups, tunics and scarves beautiful but they are made by traditional weavers in Ethiopia. Here is the link to read more about lemlem and to see some of the beautiful pieces: http://lemlem.com/about.php
There are some basic items that you need in order to build a great fall/winterwardrobe:
1. v-neck tees: In white, black and grey. Get them in both long sleeve and short sleeve. If you live in LA you have the luxury or both but if you live in Ohio you might want to stick with the long sleeve.
2. dark wash jeans: One skinny and one boot or flare. If you LOVE the way a certain pair looks on you, buy two and have the second pair hemmed so you can wear them with flats.
3. black blazer: Depending on your body shape, this could be a more fitted blazer or a boyfriend-y blazer…or both (depending on your bank account )
4. ballet flats: I think its nice to have a simple pair of black ballet flats as well as a fun pair…maybe in a metallic! (see “fabulous flats”)
5. boots: I am loving the fold over boot right now but if you want something a little less trend driven and a bit more classic – go for a riding boot. Nothing says classic and timeless like a beautiful riding boot.
6. belts: Skinny, wide, black patent, metallic, hot pink, cognac, whatever! belts are one of the best accessories. Throw on your white tee, skinny jeans and black blazer. Then, tuck a little of your tee into the front of your jeans so you can see just a little of the belt and you have an effortless cool look going on. i LOVE it!
7. scarves: great way to accessorize.
8.chunky jewelry: I can’t get enough chunky jewelry (see my bracelet post). I love chunky necklaces,bracelets and a nice big cocktail ring. I’m obsessed.
9. Perfect “go to” dress: One that makes you feel beautiful and elegant. It could be a simple black dress that you accessorize with a chunky heel or fun belt. It can last in your closet for years because you update it by wearing the right shoe, necklace, bracelet or clutch.
10. cardigan: JCrew makes great classic cardis. The kind that you can just throw on to add layers to your look. Thrown on over your simple tee brings your outfit up a notch.
12. classic heel: Ladies, you need to make sure that you update your heels and stop wearing those ugly witch and cobbler heels from about 10 years ago . As a stylist I go into way too many closets and find heels that have that long pointy toe, or long square toe. Pointy is great – but it has been updated so pay attention to the shape of the point.